Today is World Mission Sunday! In Scripture we read that St. Paul asked the Gentile Churches to take up a collection to support the Church in Jerusalem. Now we are asked to reach and support the young churches throughout our world. Your prayers and generous gifts to the Society for the Propagation of the Faith in the collection today will help missionaries offer the poor of these areas practical help as they share the mercy of God. It will ensure the development of local dioceses, and support the work of priests, religious and lay leaders who serve those on the margins and in most need. Go out to the whole world through your gift in today’s collection!
This special collection in the Archdiocese of Seattle includes a combination of five separate pontifical and USCCB national collections.
Our World Mission Sunday donations are distributed to:
- Propagation of the Faith serves 1,150 of the poorest dioceses around the world – Asia, Africa, remote regions of Latin America, and the Pacific Islands.
- Catholic Near East Welfare Association provides pastoral and humanitarian support in the Middle East, India, and North Africa.
- Church in Latin America provides for pastoral projects that serve the poor.
- Church in Central and Eastern Europe rebuilds the Church’s outreach, social ministry and ministerial formation.
- Pastoral Solidarity Fund for the Church in Africa provides for pastoral projects that serve the poor.
- Your participation in the mission work of the Church is essential, especially with the worldwide celebration of World Mission Sunday. We extend the appreciation of tens of thousands of lay catechists, Religious, and clergy in mission areas of the world.
HOLLY DAZE BAZAAR
Saturday, November 21st 10am-4pm
McMurray Middle School
- We need YOUR HELP with Holly Daze Bazaar, which the Women's Group and SJV present as an All-Island community event, and also a fund-raiser for SJV, bringing in about $3,100 in 2014 with 56 vendors from Vashon, Seattle and Tacoma!
- SIGN-UP SHEETS are in the Church vestibule for pre-event tasks and day-of-event help. Your time is precious, but we'll welcome you for 2 hours, 2 days, or 2 dozen Bake Sale cookies! Thank you so much for your generosity.
- VENDOR SPACE AVAILABLE: If you are a crafter or artisan, a very few vendor spaces are still available. It's a great way to show off your talents and pick up a little Christmas cash. REGISTRATION FEE for vendors is $45 for one table and chair(s).
- CONTACTS: For a vendor application, or with any questions, please contact Holly Daze co-chairs Diane Kajca (firstname.lastname@example.org (253)579-4683) or Molly Malone (email@example.com (206)329-4708).
- SAVE THE DATE November 21st, and hope to see you at Holly Daze -- as a volunteer, shopper or vendor -- it's going to be a great holiday bazaar!
Clase de Ingles Como Idioma Segunda, en la Iglesia de St John Vianney, Vashon
Los Lunes de last 7:00 a las 8:30 de la tarde
La Primera Clase es el Lunes 26 de Octubre a las 7:00 de la noche.
Se ofrecerá cuidado para los niños chiquitos y ayuda con la tarea para los niños de miembros de la clase de Ingles Como Idioma Segunda.
Assistance from the SJV Firewood Ministry
Do you need help heating your home this fall and winter due to limited income, or does someone you know need help? Home deliveries of cut, split dry firewood are available to parishioner and acquaintances in need of heating help this coming cold weather season. Call Jim Walker (463-9871) or the church office (567-4149).
Saturday, November 14 Fall Grounds Clean-Up
Mark your Calendar
Don’t miss the opportunity to participate in our annual work party beautifying our church and rectory grounds. We will be raking, picking up branches, weeding, trimming, and cleaning sidewalks/parking lot starting at 9:00 AM. A hearty lunch will be served in the social hall when we finish-should be around 12:30. Bring outdoor clean-up tools—rakes, tarps, blowers, clippers. All are invited. The more, the better. Questions? Call Jim Walker 463-9871 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall Clean-Up Lunch
Chef Kay Westfall will again be coordinating preparation and serving. Please call Kay (206) 567-5623, and volunteer to help with this year’s lunch.
St. James Cathedral:
in Seattle is hosting two events to open the Year of Mercy:
- Solemn Opening of the Jubilee Year of Mercy - Tuesday, December 8 at 5:30pm.
- Solemn Opening of the Ceremonial Doors for the Year of Mercy - Sunday, December 13 at Noon.
November 2-4, 2015 Palisades Retreat Center in Federal Way
- Andrew Casad, Director of the Office for Liturgy
- Brother Aelred Woodard, OSB, Choirmaster of St. Martin's Abbey in Lacey
Would you like to experience Morning or Evening Prayer individually and in community?
Interested in ways and ideas on how to bring this official prayer of the Church back to your parish? Register today for this retreat by visiting the Palisades website.