Take a Roman Holiday!
Are you an Audrey Hepburn fan? Love Rome and all things Italian? Then purchase tickets now for our ‘Roman Holiday’ fundraiser – an Italian themed take on the famous film with Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck. – happening at SJV on Friday, April 29th, 6 pm to 9 pm.
This parish fund raiser is a "wine, dine & mingle" event with a sumptuous feast of hearty appetizers -- "dinner, one bite at a time" -- with Tortellini Caprese, Antipasti Verdura, Spinach Crepes, Salmon Alfredo, Apple Reisling Chicken Roulades, cheeses & bread and more! All with live background music from "The Tarantellas".
Auctioneer extraordinaire Kevin Joyce will enliven & entertain us, auctioning 5 luxury items: original oil painting by Pam Ingalls, a basket of collectable wine, a Sorrento Hotel stay, an intimate evening of song and opera with the Krikawas, and a ‘Roman Holiday’ red motor scooter! (New this year - Absentee bids will be accepted prior to Friday, April 29th. Call the parish office M-F 9-noon at 567-4149 or Kris Cushing 962-0691 and give them your bid on any item.)
There will also be a silent auction of desserts, a 50/50 cash raffle, and we will all ‘Raise the Paddle’ for funds to beautify the Social Hall and replace flooring in the church. Beverages will be available for purchase, including Limoncello, coffee liqueur, wine, beer, & soda.
Sales of tickets have been brisk. Please buy your tickets after Mass or call the office to order, before they are sold out, as space is limited. Be sure you don’t miss this fun-filled SJV community event! See you Friday, April 29th!
SJV ‘ROMAN HOLIDAY’ AUCTION APRIL 29th
It's so exciting that Vashon's own Kevin Joyce, a truly extraordinarily talent, will lead our auction of 5 luxury items, all donated to this SJV fund raiser. Kevin’s bright talent and skill with audiences is sure to not only entertain every single person “on Roman Holiday,” but also assure a great financial outcome from the auction. Set your sights on one or all of the following, and get ready to raise that paddle on Friday, April 29th!
NEW THIS YEAR: Absentee bids will be accepted prior to Friday, April 29th. Call the parish office M-F 9-12 at 206-567-4149 or Kris Cushing at 206-962-0691, and give them your bid on any auction item OR a pledge for Raise the Paddle.
- ROMAN RED 'RAZOR' ELECTRIC SCOOTER & HELMET. Step aside Audrey Hepburn & Gregory Peck! It's a vintage-inspired styling in a fun set of wheels. With speeds up to 15 mph, 30 min. continuous use, travels 10 miles on single charge, carries up to 170 lb. Two/12V batteries, 250 watt electric motor. Dimensions 50" x 18" x 30", wt. 59 lb. Ages 13+ Tools included. Helmet included. Donor: Anonymous Value: $350
- PAM INGALLS (Vashon) ORIGINAL OIL PAINTING . An evocative oil on canvasboard,"Fountain of Blue" pictures a courtyard and marble fountain scene in beautiful Montecatini, Tuscany. 8" x 10" framed. Donor: Pam Ingalls Value: $1,450
- THE SORRENTO HOTEL EXPERIENCE. One special night in the 5-star accommodation of a V.I.P. suite at the beautiful, historic Sorrento Hotel on Seattle's Capital Hill in Seattle. Just picture yourself in this elegant, warm, tasteful, wonderfully luxurious 'New-Chic-meets-Old-World' landmark hotel..... priceless! Donor: The Sorrento Hotel Value: $538
- FINE WINES. A tasteful selection of quality wines for any enophile. The varietals and vintners are listed at the "Roman Holiday" event ticket sales table before and after all masses. Donor: Matthew Sullivan Value: $1,000
- CANTO A CASA. One night only, Saturday June 25th, the impressive vocal talents Jennifer & Andrew Krikawa will create a beautiful 'Canto a Casa' [evening of song] at the Lovekin home, with piano accompaniment by Charles Lovekin. The 14 guests will be met with a glass of champagne and enjoy dessert service from “Lisa B” at intermezzo. Donors: Jennifer & Andrew Krikawa, Charlotte & Charles Live-in Value: Priceless
- RAISE THE PADDLE : Tonight, with Kevin's able assistance, we will Raise the Paddle in fund social hall "facelift" (especially carpeting) and parish enhancement Your active participation in Raising the Paddle for this cause will be a gift all SJV parishioners will enjoy and benefit from. So lift your arm, paddle in hand, and say "yes"
DIVINE MERCY LAMB ROAST
Fill the Baby Bottle
Dear SJV parishioners - we would like to announce an outreach opportunity. It’s “Fill the Baby Bottle” to benefit the singles Moms of the Jonestown Family Center in Jonestown, Mississippi. Please take a baby bottle from the vestibule and fill the bottle with your change, your dollars, your checks. Anything is appreciated. The money raised will be used for the Jonestown parenting program and to buy baby supplies for the children and parents in need. Please return the bottles by Mother’s Day, May 8th. Checks can be made out to the Jonestown Family Center.
WAYS TO GIVE TO THE ANNUAL CATHOLIC APPEAL
- Donate Online with credit/debit/direct bank withdrawal – www.seattlearchdiocese.org/donate
- Cash or Check – make checks payable to Annual Catholic Appeal
- Pledge Only – submit your pledge (through the pledge envelope or online) and you will be sent monthly reminders.
- Donate Stock – call 206-382-7316 for broker instructions
- Donate through your IRA – contact your IRA administrator and have your gift sent directly to the ACA Office, 710 9th Ave, Seattle WA 98104 – include your name, ACA ID# and the parish you want the gift credit to go to.
- Payroll Deduction – some employers offer this option – check with yours
- Can your gift be doubled? Once your gift is fulfilled, ask your employer if they have a matching gift program. Your gift could possibly be doubled! (tax ID# 91-0778147)
As Jesus is Risen and brings us new life, come to a Marriage Encounter to enhance your marriage life. Share with us a Worldwide Marriage Encounter at Sheraton Hotel, Bellevue on May 20-22, 2016. Apply at www.wwme.org More information at 206-772-2344
This Easter…a New Beginning for Your Marriage
Is your marriage everything it was meant to be? Do you desire a more loving relationship? Retrouvaille (pronounced retro-vī) helps distressed couples rediscover each other and take positive steps to begin a life of healing, commitment and love – truly a new beginning. For confidential information about, or to register for our upcoming program beginning April 8-10, 2016 call 360-671-6479 or visit our website at www.HelpOurMarriage.com
Adopt a Station of the Cross
There are a few spots left for adoption. This would be a great family activity to keep your station looking good. The effort is about 30 minutes a month. Please contact the office to adopt a station.
The Church grounds are maintained by volunteers. We do not pay a landscaping company. The mowing season will soon be here and we need volunteers to mow the grounds. The effort is 2-3 hours every other Friday. We start at 9:30 AM. If you do not know how to run a mower we will teach you. Please call the office to sigh up or call Robert Kajca (253-579-4682) for additional information.
St. Vincent de Paul
There will be a collection for St. Vincent de Paul after masses the weekend of April 9-10. Thanks for your generosity!
Do you or someone you know need emergency help with rent, food, or utilities? Call the St. Vincent de Paul hotline at 206-450-7577 to arrange a home visit.
¿Tiene usted o alguien que usted conoce necesita ayuda de emergencia con el alquiler, la comida o las utilidades? Llame al 206-450-7577 para arreglar una visita al hogar.
Roman Holiday Help Needed
We need help setting up and taking down for the Roman Holiday fund raiser. The set-up will be Tuesday, April 26 starting at 9 AM. This should take about 2 hours. The take down will be Saturday the 29th at 9 AM. This should take 1 hour. Please sign up in the vestibule.
VASHON HOUSING CRISIS
Vashon is currently experiencing a housing crisis, as many former rental properties are being sold. We have families who are urgently in need of rental housing. Do you have a space that you could offer as a rental or house-share? Please contact St. Vincent de Paul at 206-450-7577.